If you’re looking for a fun and scenic drive near Highlands, NC, look no further! With its stunning views of the Nantahala National Forest and vibrant blue skies, this area is sure to provide an unforgettable experience. Whether you’re a vacationer wanting to explore the outdoors, a retiree searching for your vacation home, or an adventurer eager to try something new – there’s something here for everyone. Get ready to hit the road with some great sightseeing spots in tow as we uncover what it takes to have one of the best drives near Highlands NC!
Highlands, NC is a beautiful area with plenty of scenic drives to choose from. Here are a few of the best drives near Highlands, NC:
- Blue Ridge Parkway: This iconic drive is a must-do when visiting the Highlands area. The parkway offers breathtaking views of the Appalachian Mountains, and there are plenty of opportunities to pull over and take in the scenery. The Parkway is approximately 469 miles long, but you can easily drive a portion of it from Highlands.
- Waterfall Byway: The Waterfall Byway is a 98-mile drive that takes you through some of the most beautiful waterfalls in the area. The path takes you along US-64 between Murphy in the farthest west region of Western North Carolina to Brevard in Transylvania County. The drive starts in the town of Cashiers and takes you through the Nantahala National Forest, where you’ll see cascading falls and stunning mountain views.
- Highlands-Cashiers Plateau Scenic Byway: This 61-mile drive takes you through the heart of the Highlands-Cashiers Plateau and offers spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and forests. Along the way, you’ll pass by charming towns, picturesque farms, and historic landmarks.
- Franklin to Highlands Scenic Byway: This 18-mile drive takes you from the town of Franklin to Highlands, offering stunning views of the Nantahala National Forest and the Cullasaja River Gorge. Along the way, you’ll pass by numerous waterfalls, including the stunning Dry Falls, a spectacular cascade that you and your family can walk behind.
Having one of the best drives near Highlands, NC can be a memorable and enjoyable experience. But, before you take to the road, here are some things to consider:
- Choose the right time: The time of day and year can significantly impact your experience. If you’re looking for beautiful fall foliage, plan your drive in October. Also, try to avoid peak travel times like weekends and holidays.
- Plan your route: There are many scenic routes near Highlands, NC, such as the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Cherohala Skyway, and the Waterfall Byway. Research and plan your route beforehand to make sure you don’t miss any must-see spots.
- Have a reliable vehicle: Make sure your vehicle is in good condition, and all necessary maintenance has been performed before embarking on your drive. Check the oil, tires, brakes, and fluids to ensure your safety and avoid any inconvenience.
- Bring supplies: Bring snacks, water, and any necessary supplies for your drive. It’s also a good idea to have a map or GPS in case you get lost.
- Stay safe: Obey traffic laws and be cautious on winding roads. Always wear your seatbelt and keep a safe distance from other vehicles.
By following these tips, you can have a safe and enjoyable drive near Highlands, NC while taking in the beautiful scenery.
There you have it! The best drives near Highlands, NC. Whether you’re looking for killer views, lush foliage, or a peaceful drive – one of these scenic routes has something perfect for you.
And if you want to stay in the area, why not take advantage of the great custom-built mountain homes available? With Brian Horner Custom Homes, you can make all your dreams a reality and build a dream home that’s perfect for you and your family.
Contact us today to get started! Until then, enjoy the great outdoors and take a fantastic drive.