Cashiers is a smaller town with a population of around 2000 people, while Highlands has a larger population of around 3000 people. Both towns offer a range of amenities, including restaurants, shops, and outdoor activities like hiking, fishing, and golfing. However, Highlands has a more developed downtown area with a wider variety of shops and restaurants, while Cashiers has a more relaxed, rural feel.
If you’re looking to build a custom home on the side of a mountain in the Smoky Mountains, it’s important to find a builder who has experience building on challenging terrain.
Here are nine tips to help you choose a custom home builder in Cashiers and Highlands, NC
- Research: Start by doing some research online to find a list of custom home builders in Cashiers, NC. Check their websites and social media pages to see examples of their work, customer testimonials, and other relevant information.
- Design: You’ll want to work with a builder who can help you design a home that works with the natural contours of the land while still meeting your needs and preferences. They should be able to recommend designs that make the most of the views and take advantage of the natural beauty of the area.
- Experience: Look for a builder with experience building on challenging terrain, specifically on the side of a mountain or lakeside. They should be able to show you examples of their work, provide references from past clients, and be knowledgeable about the unique challenges of building on a slope.
- Engineering: Building a custom home on a mountainside, lakeside, or both, requires careful engineering and a solid understanding of the geology and topography of the area. Look for a builder who has access to geotechnical engineers, structural engineers, and other professionals who can ensure that your home is built safely and to code.
- Reputation: Check online reviews and ratings from previous clients to determine their reputation. Also, ask for references from previous clients and contact them to get an idea of their experience working with the builder.
- Interview potential builders: Schedule a meeting with the builders on your shortlist to discuss your project, timelines, budget, and other expectations. Ask questions about their approach to building, their communication process, and their experience with any unique features or designs you are considering.
- Check their licenses and certifications: Ensure that the builder you choose is properly licensed, insured, and certified to work in the state of North Carolina. You can check this information on the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors website.
- Consider their communication style: Choose a builder who has clear communication and listens to your needs and wants. You want to be able to trust them to communicate effectively throughout the process.
- Get a detailed proposal: Request a detailed proposal outlining the scope of work, costs, and timelines for your project. Be sure to review and understand the proposal before signing any contracts.
Overall, whether you choose to live in Cashiers or Highlands will likely depend on your individual preferences and lifestyle. Both towns offer a unique mountain living experience with plenty of outdoor activities and natural beauty to enjoy.
By considering these factors, you can find a custom home builder who has the skills, expertise, and experience necessary to build a beautiful and functional custom home in a community, on the side of a mountain, or even lakeside in the Smoky Mountains.
Come Home To The Mountains
If you’re ready to make one of these beautiful mountain towns your home, please give us a call. We would love to help you build your custom mountain home! Contact Brian Horner Custom Homes today to get started on making your vision a reality.